1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello!
    To see the content of this page, you need to be signed in to our website.

You can sign in or sign up at: https://www.shadowxcraft.net/login/
    Dismiss Notice

Few Questions About Alting

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by trifire, Aug 19, 2017.

1. trifire

trifire
    Expand Collapse

Local Time:
    1:04 AM
    I'm posting this to get a few questions I've had for a while answered, hopefuly. Some of them are kind of awkward and touchy, but bear with me here as I try to skirt around them while getting my meaning across.

Problem 1: Alting for Premium.

Scenario: John makes the cracked accnt named FourStarForrest. He plays on shadowxcraft and several other servers with that ign for about a year, then switches to premium. He finds his name is already a registered mojang account, so he switches to the name Tearoar, logs in to shadowxcraft, and plays normally. *end of scenario*

Is John a rulebreaker? according to the rule 10 description (This means you are not allowed to use more than one account on the server for any reason.) It sounds like it is. However, the purpose here is clearly not nefarious/not allowed... what would be the proper course of action for John to take?

Problem 2: Accidental Alting.

Scenario: John makes the cracked accnt named FourStarForrest. He plays on shadowxcraft. On *server2* he plays with a different account named Tearoar. One day, at 3 in the morning, after not being able to sleep for 2 days in a row, John loads in to *server2* using Tearoar to do some kitpvp. Turns out, there's no one on because it's 3 in the morning. He then loads into shadowxcraft... but because he's tired and all, he forgets to switch to FourStarForrest. He plays kitpvp on shadow for about an hour, then goes to bed, not realizing what had happened. (ik, cheesy, because he wouldn't have his kits, but bear with me) The next morning, he logs into shadowxcraft with FourStarForrest, and he sees a message when he logs in. below the "welcome to shadowxcraft" and "By playing on this server, You agree to follow All the rules," there's a new message: "You have 2 accounts". *end of scenario*

What should John do? Once again, a technical rulebreak, but I don't think John is worthy of a ban. I think most would agree with me.

Problem 3: Past rulebreak:

(This one is pretty far fetched, but it's relevant, I promise.)

Scenario: John is playing kitpvp on shadowxcraft (forgive me if there wasn't a kitpvp then, ancients, I wasn't there). Stardate 2015. He's 13 years old. It's once again, 3 in the morning. The only other person in kitpvp is this guy guitarmaster442. John's really good at pvp. Like, not SUPER good, but pretty darn good. However, guitarmaster442 has rly long arms. I'm talking REALLY long arms. And he's fast. Like, The Flash fast. He can fly like superman n everything too. Man that guy thinks he's cool, and he tells John so:

Guitarmaster442: "Yo man, I'm so cool, y u so bad at pvp? They shouldn't let people like you on servers, uNew Player"

FourStarForrest: "Bro, u ain't gud, u hackin."

Guitarmaster442: "Nah, ur justNew Player" (they never learn, do they?)

Guitarmaster442: "I mean"

Guitarmaster442: "NO"

Guitarmaster442: "OB"

FourStarForrest: "The only reason people hack is because they aren't good enough to win normally, they always get pwnd n stuff"

Guitarmaster442: "Everyone knows that none of the reallllly good pvprs play without hacks. Only babys who were neglected by their moms, but still do everything they tell them to don't. It just goes to show ur such aNew Player"

Guitarmaster442: "Grr.... u know what i mean."

Guitarmaster442: "The upshot is, your too much of a nb to hack."

[-]FourStarForrest has quit.

[+]FourStarForrest has joined.

And do you know why he relogged? You guessed it. He'd finally gotten fed up with that stuck up snobby Guitarmaster442, and decided to pull a fishy special. Now FourStarForrest can be like superman and the flash n all those guys too. And man, does he teach that Guitarmaster442 a lesson. It woulda warmed the hearts of anonymous themselves to see those two go at it hammer n tongs, killauras n all. And the next thing you know, Mr Guitarmaster442 has had enough:

[-]Guitarmaster442 has quit.

Since there's no one to play with, John logs off and hits the sack.

Fast forward 2 years, to modern day.

John is still playing on shadowxcraft. In fact, he's one of its most active members. He's matured a lot in two years, and hasn't hacked since 2015. He's also got a good reputation, and a lot of friends. Then one day, he's working on his survival plot and wondering who's online. A quick /glist later, and he sees something very disturbing:

[12 members online]

[Hub] 1: Guitarmaster442

No staff are online.

Seconds later, he receives a private message:

Guitarmaster442 -> FourStarForrest Hey, remember that gr8 time we had together a while back? Well, give me all your diamonds on every subserver, or to I'll give the youtube link to the mods. Don't believe I've got the vid? I'll send it to you over teamspeak.*end of scenario*

What does John do? Obviously, caving to blackmail is never a good thing. But what are his options? He can let Guitarmaster442 report him, and get banned, then write an appeal. But he'd much rather not get banned in the first place, as appeals can take a lengthy amount of time. Maybe he can write an appeal before that happens? That seems weird, since he's not actually banned yet. I really don't know.

Problem 4: Arguable Rulebreak/exploit

Scenario: John has discovered an interesting thing about the shadowxcraft hub. He finds that if he tries to join a certain subserver which he does not have the perms to join (say... typing /server prison2), he gets kicked and returned to hub. But then, through some strange bug that he does not understand, the world edit access of the staff working on the subserver carry over to the hub. Now John has access to commands like /vanish etc. He now even has perms to modify the hub. So he makes a sign, in a remote and rarely visited corner of the hub. That sign is still there, and it says:

JackShadowPyrez
    <3
    Mad_251739
    ~runz

*end of scenario*

4 months later (fingers crossed XD) Prison 2 is released, and this bug no longer exists. But the sign, on the other hand.... it's all too real, and it haunts John every time he falls asleep. What does he do? On the one hand, it's super cringey and embarrassing, but he's got no way to get rid of it, and it's only a matter of time before someone notices.... and then he risks getting banned.

Welp, that's all I've got. I tried to make these somewhat funny to keep things light and easy to read, but I'm honestly not fooling around here, these are serious questions, and I would really appreciate helpful answers/responses.

all da best,

Tri

P.S. Don't look for that sign. It's not there. And if it was, I wouldn't want you to find it.

#1 trifire, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. Tsprings73

Tsprings73
    Expand Collapse
    Network Administrator
    Staff Member Shadow Admin

Local Time:
    11:04 PM
    Thanks for posting this. Ill reply back again soon with some answers to the questions.

trifire likes this.
  3. xMineral_TM

xMineral_TM
    Expand Collapse

Local Time:
    6:04 AM
    John really has a lot of problems, God bless his poor soul.

4. tommydragon619

tommydragon619
    Expand Collapse

Local Time:
    6:04 AM
    John needs a break from mc.
    Have a break.
    Have a kitkat.

5. Tsprings73

Tsprings73
    Expand Collapse
    Network Administrator
    Staff Member Shadow Admin

Local Time:
    11:04 PM
    All John would have to do in this situation would be to fill out a data-transfer request on the website. Once the transfer is completed, the old account is banned to prevent use of it anymore and the premium account becomes the primary account.

Nothing would really happen in this situation unless it keeps happening. Players are allowed one account on the network.

File a report of the attempted blackmail to https://www.shadowxcraft.net/report. This way we have it on record that the player is attempting to blackmail John. Situations like this will be handled case-by-case by an admin.

Well John shouldn't be using development perms outside of the development environment/server. In this case John should just message like me or another staff, preferably not the ones on the sign, and just ask them to remove it. Prepare for some questions though as to why you placed the sign.

rJayT2, ADayToRemember_ and trifire like this.